Saturday, April 12, 2014

On Benzathine Benzylpenicillin (Zalpen)

Benzathine Benzylpenicillin (Zalpen) this antibiotic is my pain partner every 28 days, This medication is used to treat a wide variety of bacterial infections. It may also be used to prevent certain bacterial infections, given by injection into a large muscle meaning I will be injected in the upper portion of my butt, it's the area where you put a belt on your jeans.

I had my first injection this Friday morning, but before that I need to have a skin test, to see if I'm allergic to this medication. I had two skin test on both arms one is for the Zalpen and the other for lidocaine. I spent the whole morning in the E.R for this procedure. Good thing about staying in Iloilo Doctors Hospital's E.R is that it's comfortable, no rude nurse's or staff's. They are courteous. The nurse in-charge who assisted me is kind enough to guide me about the test and the procedure, also the two nurses who lend there help. 

After the injection, actually I still feel pain in the injection area. It's painful for atleast two days, but tolerable.  They told me to sit for a while but I insisted of going home and rest there, men the pain while walking... I need to get used to this, since I will be in this painful moment every 28 days. 

I also have my thyroid hormones tested by extracting blood on my arm to have my thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) processed and another which I forgot the term of the test. I'll be getting the result today and I really hope the result is normal. I just don't like the medical technician who took my blood she's suppose to inform me or the patient's she's going to insert the needle, but she failed to do so. And I bet I'll have a black and gray mark on my arm where they extracted the blood.

No comments: